Seventeen teams representing nine countries selected to compete in 2012 Inaugural Exergy Tour
Boise, Idaho: April 16, 2012
Race organizers have named the 17 teams to compete in the 2012 Exergy Tour, which will take place May 24-28. With UCI and NRC teams comprised of several former, current and future national, world and Olympic champions, the teams represent 9 countries, 5 of the top 11 teams in the world, and an international line-up for athletes vying to make their respective Olympic teams in 2012.
The 17 elite teams include Diadora – Pasta Zara (ITA) with the reigning World Champion, Giorgia Bronzini; Specialized – lululemon (GER), currently ranked #2 in the world and with a roster currently listing Clara Hughes (CAN), Amber Neben (USA), Evelyn Stevens (USA) and Ina Teutenberg (GER); Exergy Twenty12 (USA) with Idaho native, former World Champion and 2008 Olympic Time Trial Gold Medalist Kristin Armstrong (USA); and the Faren Honda Team (ITA) with 2008 Olympic Road Race Gold Medalist Nicole Cooke (GBR).
Team Tibco-To The Top (USA) brings 6 of the top 10 riders in the USA National rankings to their roster with Lauren Hall (USA), Megan Guarnier (USA), Lindsay Myers (USA), Amanda Miller (USA), Jennifer Purcell (USA) and Jennifer Wheeler (USA). ABUS Nutrixxion (GER) looks to bring a strong squad in the sprints led by Daniela Gass (SUI) and Belinda Goss (AUS); and Now and Novartis for MS (USA) lists 3-time Irish National Time Trial Champion, Olivia Dillon (IRL) and 2011 US National Road Champion, Robin Farina currently on their roster.
Team Optum presented by Kelly Benefit Strategies (USA) continues the rich cycling tradition established by their presenting sponsor in this, their inaugural year in women’s cycling, and a roster on which 6 of the team’s 12 riders are Olympic long team members who have their sights set on the road race in London.
Leading the efforts of Colavita/espnW Pro Cycling (USA) will be team captain Kathryn Bertine, a 3-time road and time trial national champion of St. Kitts and Nevis. Directing the team will be six-time US National Champion and former Colavita pro rider Tina Pic and Iona Wynter Parks, who represented her native Jamaica at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney and directed the Colavita squad after her retirement from competitive racing.
“I am confident we have found the right balance with the 17 teams that shall be competing at the inaugural Exergy Tour,” said James Carkulis, CEO, Exergy Development Group, founder and title sponsor of the race. “Showcasing ladies professional cycling at the international level in the USA has been remiss; and we are honored to welcome these athletes in the first year of the Exergy Tour and dedicated to grow into the future as one of the premier ladies professional cycling races in the world.”
The inaugural 2012 Exergy Tour roster includes the following 17 teams:
UCI Pro Teams Confirmed: (UCI rankings as of April 14, 2012)
· Team Specialized – lululemon (GER), No. 2
· GreenEdge – AIS (AUS), No. 4
· Diadora – Pasta Zara (ITA), No. 6
· Faren Honda Team (ITA), No. 9
· Dolmans – Boels Cycling Team (NED), No. 11
· Tibco – To the Top (USA), No. 16
· Exergy Twenty12 (USA), No. 19
· ABUS Nutrixxion (GER), No. 21
· Axman Team Taiwan (TPE), No. 23
· Topsport Vlaanderen – Ridley 2012 (BEL), No. 24
· Forno D’Asolo Colavita (ITA). No. 26
· Sengers Ladies Cycling Team (BEL), No. 28
· Canadian National Team (CAN)
· Ukraine National Team (UKR)
NRC (National Racing Calendar) Elite Teams Confirmed:
· Optum Pro Cycling presented by Kelly Benefit Strategies (USA), No. 2 on NRC
· NOW and Novartis for MS (USA), No. 3 on NRC
· Colavita – espnW Pro Cycling (USA)
Team details are updated regularly at exergytour.com. Rider rosters are subject to change and will be provided as available.
“The Exergy Tour will be an opportunity for spectators and cycling fans to see many of the same athletes who will be competing just two months later at the London Olympic Games,” said Heather Hill, marketing, communications and events director for the Exergy Tour. “The competition level will rival the classic European races and set a new standard for the highest level of ladies professional bike racing in North America. The Exergy Tour will also be an opportunity for many young riders to compete alongside the very best in the world.”
Medalist Sports is overseeing the competition and technical production of the Exergy Tour. Medalist is also the event management arm for the Amgen Tour of California, USA Pro Cycling Challenge in Colorado and the Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah.
For more information, or to register to volunteer, please visit www.ExergyTour.com.
About the Exergy Tour
The Exergy Tour will take place over the Memorial Day weekend in five Idaho cities – Boise, Nampa, Kuna, Garden Valley/Crouch and Idaho City. Between 10 and 15 of the top ladies pro cycling teams from around the world are expected to participate in the inaugural race, which was founded by Boise-based Exergy Development Group. The race will be one of the last races to provide international ranking points crucial to qualifying for the upcoming Olympic Games in London. It is sanctioned by USA Cycling and is the only ladies race in North America in 2012 with a 2.1 designation by the International Cycling Union (UCI). St. Luke’s Sports Medicine is the Official Medical Provider for the 2012 Exergy Tour. The National Association of Girls and Women in Sport is the Official Charitable Partner of the 2012 Exergy Tour.
For more information, contact Heather Hill, 208-559-1203 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Exergy Development Group
Exergy Development Group is one of the major independent renewable energy developers in the USA. Exergy’s focus is on deploying commercially successful, socially beneficial and environmentally responsible renewable energy projects. A vertically integrated company, Exergy moves its projects from conception through construction and commercial operation. Exergy believes that sustainable economic prosperity is inextricably tied to the well-being of our communities and natural environment. In support of that philosophy, Exergy founded the Exergy Tour ladies pro cycling race, designed to showcase the power of women’s professional cycling, engage communities, and provide a vehicle to teach young girls about the benefits gained through sports.
For more information, www.exergydevelopment.com
About the USA Cycling National Racing Calendar (NRC)
The National Racing Calendar (NRC) is the premier season-long domestic road cycling series sanctioned and owned by USA Cycling. With an overall ranking system that determines the best individual male and female cyclists, as well as the best teams in the U.S., the NRC features the nation’s top Pro-Am road race events, and is open to both professional and amateur cyclists. For more information on the NRC, visit usacycling.org/nrc. Recognized by the United States Olympic Committee and the Union Cycliste Internationale, USA Cycling is the official governing body for all disciplines of competitive cycling in the United States, including road, track, mountain bike, BMX, and cyclo-cross.
- RT @amtetrick: Bike racing time @TouroftheGila w @ExergyTWENTY16. One goal. One team. One more race to go! #united http://t.co/Qos4l2Udki
- Tons of great cycling action happening down in New Mexico this weekend. Follow it all @TouroftheGila
- "I think I dropped something on our last ride...:" Some ecards humor on a Saturday morning. http://t.co/cLea1dgxNX
- RT @tourofthegila: Women TT Stage 2 Winner Alison Powers-NOW chats about the win #tourgila http://t.co/iSJYCP9JC9
- Results from today's stage. RT @tourofthegila: W: Janel Holcomb solos to the win. Shelley Olds 2nd and Jade Wilcoxson 3rd #tourgila
- RT @tourofthegila: W: QOM 1-Haeusler-TIB 2-Dvorak-EXG 3-Abbott-EXG 4-Powers-NOW #tourgila
- MT @GiroJenny: #clickthruthurs 4 tweeting #tourofgila teams @DNA_Plan7_K4 @ExergyTWENTY16 @NoOppWasted @OPTUMpbKBS @vanderkitten @teamTIBCO
- RT @girojenny: Stage 1 winner #tourofgila @cosunshinemka isn't an astrophysicist but her Dad is #climbingscience http://t.co/QawoPDJKFY...
- The #TourofGila is upon us. Prepare for tweets aplenty from New Mexico!
- Nice recap of a busy schedule of women's racing from around the globe. Thx to @TtlWomenCycling http://t.co/3iUF4ORq5q
- More results. RT @nicolacranmer: @ExergyTWENTY16 junior @AshlynWoods97 was 5th today in a tough cat 1/2/3 road race! Tour de Moore
- Lot's of racing yesterday. MT @exergytwenty16: 3rd for Cari Higgins at Athens Twilight Criterium - Report to come! http://t.co/lqC9K8jSkc
- Congrats Erica! RT @athenstwilight: Erica Allar is the 2013 Twilight women's champion! #terrapintwilight http://t.co/KWbaxYATQy
- MT @velociosports: The team goes 1,2,3 in ITT at #graciaorlova ! Congrats @ellenvdijk on the TT win, @evelyn_stevens 2nd @TaylerWiles 3rd!
- What's it take to run a successful women's cycling team? Read "Rachel Heal: Team Focused and Risk Taker" http://t.co/JDKZTRNskL
- 41 degrees in #Boise, but forecasted for the 80's by Sat. Yes, we see some long rides in our future. http://t.co/3m5T4TsyNk
- MT @usacycling: It's a tight race in the women's #ProGRT standings. http://t.co/PkAapTiX9E Robyn Embrey is just 8 pts ahead of @jharmony33.
- Happy #EarthDay! Get out on your bike to celebrate. You can also check out these 15 Facts about the Earth: http://t.co/GKbN5o7QhA
- RT @nicolacranmer: Congrats to @jacrowell88 for her very 1st stage race win at #SeaOtterClassic image: @PhotoWil http://t.co/GxWZj6V1Be
- MT @exergytwenty16: Congrats to Ali Tetrick (@AMTetrick) on her win at today's @SeaOtterClassic #TimeTrial. http://t.co/SrbZxsMDou