Team Specialized-lululemon sweeps ITT at Exergy Tour; American Neben takes over G.C. lead
Boise, Idaho: May 26, 2012
KUNA, IDAHO – May 26, 2012 – American Amber Neben of Team Specialized – lululemon secured the Exergy Leaders jersey on Stage 2 presented by Union Pacific in Kuna, Idaho with a win today in the Exergy Tour Individual Time Trial. She posted a time of 21 minutes 37.67 seconds. Two teammates joined her on the podium for a soggy sweep of the race-against-the-clock top spots, Evelyn Stevens (USA) in second spot 15 seconds back and Clara Hughes (Canada) in third 20 seconds back.
Stevens, who is the reigning U.S. National Time Trial Champion, is now second overall in the General Classificiation (G.C.), 11 seconds behind Neben. Hughes not only finished third in the ITT, but moves to third overall on G.C., 14 seconds back. Another Team Specialized – lululemon teammate, Ina Yoko Teutenberg (Germany), finished sixth in the time trial today and is 21 seconds back on G.C., relinquishing the Exergy Race Leader jersey to fourth position on G.C.
“I am on the best team in the world, between sponsors, equipment, staff and teammates. It’s all the best. We all get along and want to see each other do the best, so we feed off that and then you see it in the results, too,” said Neben, who won the World Time Trial Championship in 2008.
Weather conditions made the out-and-back 10.4-mile (16.7 kilometer) Individual Time Trial more challenging than originally expected, with most riders being more conservatie in the tight, narrow turn at the halfway point. A constant rain fell throughout the race and chilly temperatures hovered around the 45-degree (fahrenheit) mark.
About the time trial course, Neben added, “I was afraid it might be a little slick (due to the rain), so I was a little conservative going out. It was good in the sense that those first corners were pretty early. I was careful at the turnaround, it was kinda tight there. The good thing was essentially it was just straight out the whole time, turnaround, come back, so there wasn’t too much to worry about. I think that was where the race was going to be won, in the straightaway.”
The only award jersey to change hands was the Exergy Leader Jersey, now worn by Neben. The Colavita Queen of the Mountains jersey continues to be worn by Stevens and Teutenberg will wear the PowerBar Sprint jersey. Gillian Carleton, riding for the Canadian National Team, continues in the St. Luke’s Sports Medicine Best Young Rider jersey for a third day. Elizabeth Newell (USA) of the NOW and Novartis for MS team will continue as the Exergy Most Aggressive Rider.
The “Queen Stage” of the Exergy Tour is a day for the climbers on Sunday, May 27. The riders will cover 4,520 feet of vertical gain in the Boise National Forest west of the Sawtooth Mountains, headed from Crouch/Garden Valley to Idaho City. This 59.7-mile (96-kilometer) road race Stage 3 presented by the USA Pro Challenge will begin at Noon MT and is expected to finish at 3 p.m. The Exergy Tour can be followed daily via Tour Tracker®, with live Web coverage and free downloads available for iPhones, iPads, and Android devices.
About the Exergy Tour
The Exergy Tour will take place over the Memorial Day weekend in five Idaho cities – Boise, Nampa, Kuna, Garden Valley/Crouch and Idaho City. A total of 16 of the top ladies pro cycling teams from around the world are participating in the inaugural race, which was founded by Boise-based Exergy Development Group. The race will be one of the last races to provide international ranking points crucial to qualifying for the upcoming Olympic Games in London. It is sanctioned by USA Cycling and is the only ladies race in North America in 2012 with a 2.1 designation by the International Cycling Union (UCI). St. Luke’s Sports Medicine is the Official Medical Provider for the 2012 Exergy Tour. The National Association of Girls and Women in Sport is the Official Charitable Partner of the 2012 Exergy Tour.
For more information, contact Heather Hill, 208-559-1203 or email@example.com.
About Exergy Development Group
Exergy Development Group is one of the major independent renewable energy developers in the USA. Exergy’s focus is on deploying commercially successful, socially beneficial and environmentally responsible renewable energy projects. A vertically integrated company, Exergy moves its projects from conception through construction and commercial operation. Exergy believes that sustainable economic prosperity is inextricably tied to the well-being of our communities and natural environment. In support of that philosophy, Exergy founded the Exergy Tour ladies pro cycling race, designed to showcase the power of women’s professional cycling, engage communities, and provide a vehicle to teach young girls about the benefits gained through sports.
For more information, www.exergydevelopment.com
- RT @amtetrick: Bike racing time @TouroftheGila w @ExergyTWENTY16. One goal. One team. One more race to go! #united http://t.co/Qos4l2Udki
- Tons of great cycling action happening down in New Mexico this weekend. Follow it all @TouroftheGila
- "I think I dropped something on our last ride...:" Some ecards humor on a Saturday morning. http://t.co/cLea1dgxNX
- RT @tourofthegila: Women TT Stage 2 Winner Alison Powers-NOW chats about the win #tourgila http://t.co/iSJYCP9JC9
- Results from today's stage. RT @tourofthegila: W: Janel Holcomb solos to the win. Shelley Olds 2nd and Jade Wilcoxson 3rd #tourgila
- RT @tourofthegila: W: QOM 1-Haeusler-TIB 2-Dvorak-EXG 3-Abbott-EXG 4-Powers-NOW #tourgila
- MT @GiroJenny: #clickthruthurs 4 tweeting #tourofgila teams @DNA_Plan7_K4 @ExergyTWENTY16 @NoOppWasted @OPTUMpbKBS @vanderkitten @teamTIBCO
- RT @girojenny: Stage 1 winner #tourofgila @cosunshinemka isn't an astrophysicist but her Dad is #climbingscience http://t.co/QawoPDJKFY...
- The #TourofGila is upon us. Prepare for tweets aplenty from New Mexico!
- Nice recap of a busy schedule of women's racing from around the globe. Thx to @TtlWomenCycling http://t.co/3iUF4ORq5q
- More results. RT @nicolacranmer: @ExergyTWENTY16 junior @AshlynWoods97 was 5th today in a tough cat 1/2/3 road race! Tour de Moore
- Lot's of racing yesterday. MT @exergytwenty16: 3rd for Cari Higgins at Athens Twilight Criterium - Report to come! http://t.co/lqC9K8jSkc
- Congrats Erica! RT @athenstwilight: Erica Allar is the 2013 Twilight women's champion! #terrapintwilight http://t.co/KWbaxYATQy
- MT @velociosports: The team goes 1,2,3 in ITT at #graciaorlova ! Congrats @ellenvdijk on the TT win, @evelyn_stevens 2nd @TaylerWiles 3rd!
- What's it take to run a successful women's cycling team? Read "Rachel Heal: Team Focused and Risk Taker" http://t.co/JDKZTRNskL
- 41 degrees in #Boise, but forecasted for the 80's by Sat. Yes, we see some long rides in our future. http://t.co/3m5T4TsyNk
- MT @usacycling: It's a tight race in the women's #ProGRT standings. http://t.co/PkAapTiX9E Robyn Embrey is just 8 pts ahead of @jharmony33.
- Happy #EarthDay! Get out on your bike to celebrate. You can also check out these 15 Facts about the Earth: http://t.co/GKbN5o7QhA
- RT @nicolacranmer: Congrats to @jacrowell88 for her very 1st stage race win at #SeaOtterClassic image: @PhotoWil http://t.co/GxWZj6V1Be
- MT @exergytwenty16: Congrats to Ali Tetrick (@AMTetrick) on her win at today's @SeaOtterClassic #TimeTrial. http://t.co/SrbZxsMDou