For five days in May 2012, the inaugural Exergy Tour in Idaho, USA will welcome the world’s top women cyclists to compete at the highest level, and will introduce a vision of greater opportunity for women in sport by engaging our communities and showcasing the power and excitement of ladies professional cycling as a means to inspire our younger generations.
Spectators, fans and volunteers will have the opportunity to watch and support one of the largest fields of former, current and future national, world and Olympic champions; all gathered to compete for coveted 2012 Olympic team slots and unprecedented prize money.
Designated by the international governing body of cycling (UCI) as the only 2.1 race for women in North America in 2012, the Exergy Tour will be on par with the most prestigious and competitive races in the world, and will offer a last chance for these teams to earn international ranking points crucial in qualifying for the upcoming London Olympic Games taking place two months later.
The Exergy Tour is committed to providing the same opportunities for professional women cyclists as the men currently receive in the sport, and every aspect of this world-class experience for athletes, teams, volunteers, fans and spectators will be designed in support of this commitment.
Medalist Sports, the event management arm for the Amgen Tour of California, USA Pro Cycling Challenge in Colorado and the Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah, will oversee the competition and technical production of the Exergy Tour, working in collaboration with local staff and volunteers.
Current plans for the inaugural Exergy Tour will showcase Idaho’s capitol and the surrounding Treasure Valley, including high desert, sprint and alpine stages. Future years will look to grow both the number of days and expanded geography of the event.
As planning is underway, we encourage you to check back for regular announcements relative to the host cities, routes for each stage, teams expected to race, community events and much more. We invite you to sign up for our e-newsletter or visit our online newsroom for the most up-to-date announcements.
Volunteer registration is now open – Click here to register.
— James Carkulis, CEO, Exergy Development Group
— Steve Johnson, President & CEO, USA Cycling
— First Lady Lori Otter
— Mayor David Bieter
- RT @amtetrick: Bike racing time @TouroftheGila w @ExergyTWENTY16. One goal. One team. One more race to go! #united http://t.co/Qos4l2Udki
- Tons of great cycling action happening down in New Mexico this weekend. Follow it all @TouroftheGila
- "I think I dropped something on our last ride...:" Some ecards humor on a Saturday morning. http://t.co/cLea1dgxNX
- RT @tourofthegila: Women TT Stage 2 Winner Alison Powers-NOW chats about the win #tourgila http://t.co/iSJYCP9JC9
- Results from today's stage. RT @tourofthegila: W: Janel Holcomb solos to the win. Shelley Olds 2nd and Jade Wilcoxson 3rd #tourgila
- RT @tourofthegila: W: QOM 1-Haeusler-TIB 2-Dvorak-EXG 3-Abbott-EXG 4-Powers-NOW #tourgila
- MT @GiroJenny: #clickthruthurs 4 tweeting #tourofgila teams @DNA_Plan7_K4 @ExergyTWENTY16 @NoOppWasted @OPTUMpbKBS @vanderkitten @teamTIBCO
- RT @girojenny: Stage 1 winner #tourofgila @cosunshinemka isn't an astrophysicist but her Dad is #climbingscience http://t.co/QawoPDJKFY...
- The #TourofGila is upon us. Prepare for tweets aplenty from New Mexico!
- Nice recap of a busy schedule of women's racing from around the globe. Thx to @TtlWomenCycling http://t.co/3iUF4ORq5q
- More results. RT @nicolacranmer: @ExergyTWENTY16 junior @AshlynWoods97 was 5th today in a tough cat 1/2/3 road race! Tour de Moore
- Lot's of racing yesterday. MT @exergytwenty16: 3rd for Cari Higgins at Athens Twilight Criterium - Report to come! http://t.co/lqC9K8jSkc
- Congrats Erica! RT @athenstwilight: Erica Allar is the 2013 Twilight women's champion! #terrapintwilight http://t.co/KWbaxYATQy
- MT @velociosports: The team goes 1,2,3 in ITT at #graciaorlova ! Congrats @ellenvdijk on the TT win, @evelyn_stevens 2nd @TaylerWiles 3rd!
- What's it take to run a successful women's cycling team? Read "Rachel Heal: Team Focused and Risk Taker" http://t.co/JDKZTRNskL
- 41 degrees in #Boise, but forecasted for the 80's by Sat. Yes, we see some long rides in our future. http://t.co/3m5T4TsyNk
- MT @usacycling: It's a tight race in the women's #ProGRT standings. http://t.co/PkAapTiX9E Robyn Embrey is just 8 pts ahead of @jharmony33.
- Happy #EarthDay! Get out on your bike to celebrate. You can also check out these 15 Facts about the Earth: http://t.co/GKbN5o7QhA
- RT @nicolacranmer: Congrats to @jacrowell88 for her very 1st stage race win at #SeaOtterClassic image: @PhotoWil http://t.co/GxWZj6V1Be
- MT @exergytwenty16: Congrats to Ali Tetrick (@AMTetrick) on her win at today's @SeaOtterClassic #TimeTrial. http://t.co/SrbZxsMDou